If you want to send a private message...

email me on kirstengould@yahoo.com

Monday 3 May 2010

May Day celebrations


Last Thursday, I was walking along the main street in town about 8 o'clock in the morning when I saw preparations for a parade. Never one to miss a photo opportunity, I called school to say I wouldn't be coming in and headed home to grab my camera. Once back at the parade area, I started to mingle with the growing crowd as about half a dozen children under 5 were given finishing touches to make-up and costumes.

I worked my way to the front and managed to get quite a few good shots of the kids who by this point were beginning to be placed on platforms held shoulder high by yellow clad men. So far, so good. Then I realised that the smallest children had their legs bound to a metal pole and were being hoisted high above the platform and then immobilised there like a lolly on a stick.
Some of the kids didn't seem to mind too much but one girl in particular looked terrified. The children were dressed to represent characters from a famous Chinese novel written in the 1590s called "Journey to the West" in English. The "west" in this case is India and it's a fictionalised account of a real journey made by a monk around 560AD who travelled to India to get some sacred texts. In the novel he fights monsters and demons, which I'm guessing maybe didn't happen on the original journey...



I was told that this form of the parade wasn't common any more as "lots of parents don't want their children tied to a pole." Instead, many parades use a van with children standing on the roof. Probably marginally more user-friendly than the Danfeng version...

This guy was playing the monk that journeyed to India

The end of the parade had a lot of other performers - singers, drummers and other musicians.

No comments:

Post a Comment