If you want to send a private message...

email me on kirstengould@yahoo.com

Monday 6 September 2010

Danjiang Mountain climb

Last weekend, a year after I actually came to China, I finally got round to climbing the mountain behind my town. It's a beautiful thing - and I enjoy looking at it at different times of day when different types of light hit it.
The walk to the mountain is also pleasant - with mini farm plots on either side of the path (currently growing maize or potatoes) and with small tombs belonging to the farmers' ancestors. It's common practice in rural China to place your dead in tombs on your own land. (see above!)


I was aware that there were Buddhist caves carved out of the rock but I didn't really realise what that involved. When I got there, I realised that 2000 years ago, the monks hadn't simply carved out a shapeless hole but had carved gods and other images out of the rock and along the walls of their caves. They're in remarkably good condition considering their age - although most of them are hollowed out from almost vertical cliff faces so I reckon that no-one went near them for hundreds of years until Danfeng Municipal Govt reckoned a good tourist money maker would be to add some paths and steps for visitors. Not that there ARE many visitors - there were only 5 of us on the mountain the whole time I was there.
These statues were inside the caves (there's about 10 that you can enter, though there are many more carved into the cliffs that are too dangerous to climb to.)
This cave has been recently repainted to show what it would have been like (sort of) 2000 years ago. The caves would have originally had similar bright colours.
The top of the mountain at last!
My interpreter doing a very dangerous climb to investigate what's at the top, Turned out there was nothing but an old birds nest.
I love this view. You can walk along the ridge for quite a way.

And, as a bonus, there were interesting bugs up there too!

All in all, a fantastic day out. I had sore calf muscles the next day though...

No comments:

Post a Comment