If you want to send a private message...

email me on kirstengould@yahoo.com

Thursday 8 April 2010

TCM - to believe or not to believe...

The last couple of days, although I've felt well in most respects, I've had swollen glands in my throat and it's been very painful to swallow. After doing an internet diagnosis, I came to the conclusion that it's tonsillitis. If it's viral, I just need to leave it and it will go away itself. If it's bacterial, I'll need antibiotics which don't exist in Danfeng. I'd need to go to Xi'an to get them. And in addition, there's no equipment in Danfeng for a doctor to diagnose which I have.
My boss at work suggested another alternative. Traditional Chinese Medicine. Apparently Danfeng is blessed to have one of the most famous TCM doctors in China living here. Since I don't want to go to Xi'an on the off chance, and since I'm not exactly dying, I thought I'd give it a go. I must admit I was fairly curious to see what would happen.
When we arrived, there were about 4 patients there, each attached to a drip which didn't seem very traditional to me! One wall was filled with glass shelves and loaded up with boxes of pills exactly like a western pharmacy.
My boss said I had a sore throat so the guy took a clean cotton bud, pressed down my tongue and looked for about half a second. Then he asked me to give him my left hand and he put his fingers on my pulse. We sat like that for almost five minutes, with him closing his eyes and massaging his forehead periodically. Then he asked for my right hand and did the same - except this time he was clearly getting as bored as me because he sat chatting to the other people in the room as he held my hand.
I wasn't given an official diagnosis but he wrote a prescription and his assistant went to the back of the room which was filled floor to ceiling in a kind of giant apothecary chest of orange drawers. I was told I'd be given a tea to drink (and after checking that there wasn't any animal parts involved, which they seemed to find hysterically funny) I was given five bags of dried plants and told to put a few bits from each bag in a cup and pour on boiling water. I'm supposed to drink about 5 cups a day for 10 days.

(my five bags of plants)

When I asked how long it would take for my throat to get better, I was told 3 days (which is pretty much how long it'll take without any medication at all if it's viral.)
Hmmmm, it was an interesting experience but if I think I'm really sick, I won't be heading back there for treatment!

No comments:

Post a Comment